FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SPG 'Better by the Night' Promotion - pre-launch discussion and speculation thread
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:47 am
RAPC

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
First of all, I have no axe to grind with this promotion in terms of the earning criteria. It doesn't work for me, but such is life.

My concern on a broader perspective is that we now have a split between regions and countries due to other promotions running at the same time. SPG is a global program and the division of the promotions by geography is setting a rather worrying precedent. It certainly makes it harder for someone with travel patterns across multiple countries to actually make use of the promotions as well as hoped. For example a couple of 2 night stays or a 4 night stay in Asia won't yield a return via the local promo, nor will you get the double or triple points that the main promo would be eligible for.

The net result will potentially be members skipping properties in a particular region or country as a result of a disconnected promotion strategy. It is certainly confusing at best and will definitely catch some members out. I'm sure that SPG have done this with what they see as good reason, but I'm yet to be convinced of the benefit of it to either Starwood or SPG members, especially if it becomes a longer term strategy.