FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 47,000 mile pre-christmas mileage run (report)
Old Dec 25, 2011, 1:50 pm
SFflyer123

Programs: UA 1K
Why not just forget it if you're not traveling?

Originally Posted by colonius
Yep, it has been a bad year. Little travel, no DEQM. And just like eightblack, I am addicted to my 1K status.
If you've not traveling, 1k gets you nothing. If you stay at home all the time, whether you're 1k or 2p is irrelevant. Why spend all the time and energy to get 1k when you're not traveling that much?

Personally, I've made a commitment to travel less in 2012. I did 110,000 miles this year, my goal next year will be to drop to just over 50K. SWU's for me go into the garbage at the end of the year, and the UDU's are probably about 33% for me. Not worth flying an extra 50,000 miles just for a 1/3 chance at UDU, a stupid red carpet (now blue) to get on before others, and SWU's that I throw into the garbage each year. 1k doesn't even get me lounge access to eat the cheese, crackers, carrots & ranch dressing with the cheap $5 bottles of wine. They want $375 or 47,000 miles to eat their carrots and ranch dressing. To that, I say: "Not this year." Not worth it to me any more. I'd rather spend my time doing other things than dealing with airports and flying around for very little reward.

Perhaps there was a time when the incentive the airlines offered were worth it, but in the day of bankruptcy, budget cuts, poor economy, high loads and few upgrades, it's not worth it to me anymore. The perks that we used to get as 1K are just becoming harder and harder to get; they may write it on their website, but to actually get it in reality is another story. 1K--an artificial creation by a company--means nothing if I'm on the ground all the time, and if I can't get the perks in the air, it's totally not worth it to me.

Last edited by SFflyer123; Dec 25, 2011 at 2:01 pm