FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:14 am
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SYDNEY transit

Our gate was at the end of the pier so a moderate walk to security. No queue and I managed to avoid the "random" explosives check. Up the lift to the lounge.

No bouncer at the entrance downstairs, but of course need to show boarding pass at reception upstairs.

The transit was moderately long as my next flight is one of the last of the night, juggling dual curfews at original and destination. However the time went fast. By the time I'd caught up on news and messages for work, and had a quick shower, there was only 30 minutes until boarding.

The lounge was fairly empty despite QF1 to London Heathrow via Bangkok being delayed by a few hours due to the inbound aircraft from Johannesburg being diverted to Melbourne, and also the Christchurch flight was hours late.

I decided for a light snack so I could sleep through the flight if I wanted. Unfortunately the dining staff had other ideas, taking & filling my drink order very quickly, and soon providing a refill, but taking an age to get my food order. I noticed the menu was much improved - not so much in terms of quantity or quality of food & beverage, but rather it had none of the numerous typos which characterised the Qantas Sydney and Melbourne first class lounge menus for so long.

The food had barely turned up at my table when boarding was called. Cleaning staff had already started clearing up and vacuuming around the few remaining lounge guests. I trudged off.