FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How do YOU keep track of business travel expenses?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:20 pm
pshuang

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
I've worked for a variety of sizes of companies here in the US and I don't have an allergy against paying expenses up front and being reimbursed later if that is the default modus operandi for an employer. As others have noted in this thread, letting yourself get behind in filing your expense reports is a killer for multiple reasons. So if you do manage to keep to just a maximum of 2 weeks delay between incurring expenses and turning in your corresponding expense reports, then even if you end up filing a report immediately after a paycheck cycle (or expense reimbursement period, if your company's expense reimbursement system works on a periodic cycle not perfectly aligned with paychecks), thus inadvertently maximizing the latency between your incurring the expense and your getting reimbursed, you probably still got reimbursed before you had to make payment to your credit card, even with the reduced 21 days between statement date and due date for most US based credit card issuers.

Yes, it's true you're taking a risk on the short-term credit worthiness of your employer. If that's a significant issue, you need to be planning many things accordingly, not just your expenses reporting strategy. And yes, I think a young recent grad or somebody in a tricky financial situation who may not have the ability to float the money temporarily should ask the employer about possible alternate arrangements such as getting a lump sum advance. While I have the wherewithal to easily float the money, occasionally I do have a business trip planned in advance with sufficient certainty that both airfare and hotel should be booked and paid well in advance to get good prices, and my employer has not objected to reimbursing me for those expenses already incurred, even though the trip itself has not yet taken place. After the trip I'll then file another expense report to cover food, misc. transport, incidentals, etc.