FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renaissance Munich to leave MR/close on 10/1/11?
Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:22 am
Counsellor

To become a Pullman

Actually, the Renaissance is no more, effective today. RIP.

I had a reservation for the Renaissance for the nights of 22 and 23 December, and received a note that because they were not going to be open the night of the 23rd they were moving my reservation to the Marriott down the street.

So, this afternoon (the 23rd), I dropped by, and sure enough the hotel was no longer operating. I chatted with the new manager, who happened to be on the scene, and learned that the plan is to rebrand it as a Pullman (Accor chain), and reopen on January 9th.

The renovations have begun, and the plan (as I understand it) is to do them in four "slices" so the hotel will be open and operating through much of this. The manager showed me a model room that had been redone in what will probably be the new signature style. It's very modern and comfortable in style, uses earth colors (lots of browns), and features a real work desk.

It looks as though this will be a very nice property, as the Pullman brand is one of Accor's more upscale ones. I'm Platinum in A Club, and I mentioned that Accor didn't seem to have as many benefits for elites as Marriott, and wondered whether such customary Renaissance amenities as free internet, free breakfast, and upgrades to the many suites would continue.

As I understand it, they do intend to add air conditioning during the remodeling, although not during the first stage, and will probably convert some of the many two-room "suites" to individual rooms.

I still really like the location, and will stop by after the rebranding is done to experience first-hand what differences there are in the corporate "culture" between Marriott and the Pullman brand at Accor.