FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should USA card issuers adopt EMV (Chip & PIN)? [Opinion discussion]
Old Dec 19, 2011, 4:44 pm
JEFFJAGUAR

Sometimes I have the opposite problem using a non emv card in a certain chain of convenience stores in London. I give the card and the cashier insists it has to be entered in the chip slot to activate the magnetic stripe process. Personallyh I don't believe the cashier. The problem is that continued insertion of the magnetic stripe card in the chip slot qujickly starts compromising the signature panel and in London, unlike the United States, almost all cashiers make a pretense of checking signatures on the magnetic stripe cards (conversely these days in the USA almost nobody checks signatures although most of my purchases are relatively small and I would suppose if my charges were larger, they would check signatures more closely; most places in the USA I go to, fast food, groceries, petrol stations have swipe terminals and usually the card never leaves my hand)..

Also, as with everything else with our wonderful banks such as Bank of America (we have to charge $5/month for a debit card because we have a right to make a profit) have found that they can put the emv chip into more expensive cards all the better to get people to buy into huge annual fees. The fact Chase issues some of its airline cards with emv chips is indicative that the back office operations at Chase work with emv chips (although they use chip and signature instead of chip and pin) but they don't want to make hybrid cards available to the general public to generate more fees from their high end customers (personally, if they charged what it costs to issue an emv card, probably about a dime, I'd even pay to give them a 100% profit on it)). After all, none of our American banks ever misses an opportunity to tag customers with higher and higher fees under the guise they are providing a service!