FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:57 pm
former230

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
[QUOTE=Seat 2A;17640215]156,000 miles in a month! That must've been so much fun! Except for the 20 extra pounds I would have gained dining on 30 days worth of 7 course meals! Unfortunately back in 1980 I had neither the time or money to have taken advantage of that deal with PA, but I did manage something perhaps even better for approximately the same cost just a few years later.

In November 1984, United became the first and only airline to fly its own jets into each of the 50 states. There were no contract carriers dba United Express back then, it was United metal all the way. To promote this milestone, UA offered its Mileage Plus members the following deal:

Fly into or out of each of the 50 states in a set 50 day period and win a year of free unlimited First Class travel anywhere within the 50 states.

It wasn't a race, but rather just a matter of going out and doing it. I and 67 others did just that and in March 1985 United flew us all out to Chicago, put us up at the Westin and regaled us with a very nice awards ceremony. We were all given gold cards and a couple of boxes of write your own tickets with more of those if we ran out. Most people didn't but I sure did. Over the next year, I flew over 500000 miles, including 23 flights to Hawaii and even more to and from Alaska.

Back then, most domestic airlines still offered a fairly decent product up front and United's long distance First Class service was amongst the finest in the nation. The transcon flights were branded Ocean to Ocean, while Royal Hawaiian Service was the way to go to Hawaii. Macadamia nuts flowed in abundance, the Trader Vic's Mai Tais were some of the finest I've ever had, and the meal service was much more elaborate that the economy class meals being offered as First Class fare today. Check out this menu:

UNITED AIRLINES
Royal Hawaiian Service
Honolulu to San Francisco

Appetizer
Poached Hawaiian snapper fillet with a wine laced dill sauce

Salad Offering
Freshly tossed spinach leaves, Belgian endive and radiccio,
garnished with sliced ripe olives, water chestnuts and won ton strips.
Served with a choice of salad dressings

ROYAL HAWAIIAN ENTREE SELECTIONS

Roast Rack of Lamb

Our lamb rack is roasted in its natural juices and served with a minted herb sauce.
This favorite will be carved at your table. Accompaniments are
Normandy potatoes, broccoli florettes and baby carrots

Breast of Chicken Mauna Kea
Breast of chicken sauteed with shallots and white wine
served with Hawaiian papaya sauce laced with Madeira wine.
Accompaniments are rice pilaf and broccoli florettes.

Chef's Special Entree Selection
Today our chef suggests U.S. choice tenderloin of beef
topped with maitre d'hotel butter. Accompaniments are Normandy potatoes,
broccoli florettes and baby carrots.

Our Lighter Air Fare
Today's selection features a papaya half
filled with bay shrimp salad, garnished with fresh pineapple,
kumquat, a cherry tomato and a ripe olive.

A selection of warmed dinner rolls will be presented

Dessert

Ice Cream Bombe Royal

A delightful combination of rich French vanilla and sponge cake,
served with raspberry sauce and fine cookies.

Fresh Fruit Basket

QUOTE]

It's when I read things like this that I become depressed about having missed out on the "golden era" of air travel. Just born too late!

Oh well, I will just have to hold my head up and enjoy CX premium classes I guess...perhaps one day the accouterments I enjoy today will also be highly regarded as a "golden age" of their own. Of course that just means that things will decline even further in the future. lol