FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about snow in Tromso
View Single Post
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:09 pm
NorwayFan

Question about snow in Tromso

Hi everyone! I've been doing research about Norway because I've fallen in love with the country just from pics and commentary, and was hoping to vacation there this coming new year, and possibly even move there permanently. But I'm having trouble getting accurate info on the weather, especially in Tromso, which interests me the most (more so than Oslo, Bergen, etc).

From what I'm reading at all the various sites online, it sounds like Tromso, in December, gets a lot of rain instead of snow? I was hoping for a very snowy area with a great chance of a white Christmas. But all the various weather sites show just a couple inches of snow at most at any time in Tromso (average of under an inch falling on any given day). So what is the winter REALLY like in Tromso? I was hoping to hear it's very snowy and that in say mid-late December there's a good foot of snow on the ground, but somehow it doesn't sound that way.

Also, the polar lights - how often do they REALLY appear in the skies in Tromso? I'm hearing lots of contradictory info from rarely ever to constantly. Thanks in advance for any advice!