FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Below Knee Amputee Airline Travel Questions
Old Dec 14, 2011, 6:21 pm
flyingwheels

Originally Posted by DavisCalifJr
Nope. Not joking. This happens since I have been mistaken for being middle eastern (I'm hispanic). I'm not sure where you've been flying, but, it's a pretty interesting change I've seen flying TPAC and TATL to and from the US.. It's not that I'm paranoid, but things changed after 9/11 how people look at one another on planes. My intent wasn't to get into that debate, but, anyone doing something strange or unusual on a plane is a concern and removing body parts might alarm some folks before they realize what's going on..lol..

Fortunately, from some of the comments I've read here (thanks everyone!) I've really learned a few new tricks to put my seatmates at ease (and me too) as the goal is to have a comfortable flight without any surprises. I feel much better now that I can address this one area of flying that really has been impacting me
Obviously as a clearly visable caucasian female I'm in an easier position (allthough between my aids and medical equipment I could blow up many a planes and put down many passengers, but that set aside ), but in these cases it helps to kinda be................ overly overly clear.

Be overly visable in being "just an amputee". Read; don't try to be private when removing your prosthetic, but be visable! When folks can't judge a book by it's cover and know what it is (or at least know what it isn't!), you'll find they judge even if it's just out of pure fear.

And honestly? SO WHAT if they see you disconnect and connect the prosthetic as you like? Nobody should give a darn and if folks do get antsy about it; that's there problem. Never ever feel you should hide because of others or even worse; be uncomfortable just to prevent others might get a dose of real life world.

If flying BC makes you more comfortable physically and you find it's beneficial that way; by all means fly BC if you can afford it. But if it is just out of worry about others judgement; stop thinking that right now! You'ld be nuts to spent the extra money just because of others.

There are 2 groups onboard; the oblivious (which you can scratch of your list right now) and the lookers. With the latter I tend to think "let's give 'm a show!". Who cares? So they see something. It's not like you are exposing private parts or doing anything other obscene thing. You are simply taking off a prosthetic, period.

Stop overcaring about others feelings. This is not something you should be worried about. Smelling badly beyond believe, behaving like a barnyard animal, those kinda things you should be worried about. But not this. It's their problem, not yours. As far as possible false worries about safety; either be overly clear so nobody can mistake what you are doing is safe or have a short instruction talk with those directly next to you.