FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Dec 14, 2011, 12:07 pm
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by BHL
OK, that begs the question of which was the world's best unlimited airline pass that could be purchased by the public.

There was one once an airline that offered unlimited international first class for a month--anyone remembered who offered it and when? (It was also available in business and economy as well.)
That US Air pass had its origins with Allegheny Airlines when it was known as the Liberty Fare. I bought two of them back in the seventies and went crazy flying all those old BAC-111s and DC-9-30s. Eastern, Delta and National offered Unlimited Mileage fares. I remember spending $500.00 for one of these on Eastern back in 1980. I subsequently flew 105 flights a total of 104220 miles over the three week period of the pass.

National/PA offered a First Class version of its pass to passengers living in the US. Braniff offered a First Class unlimited pass as well, but you had to live or at least originate overseas and have a ticket cross referenced to the pass indicating such. I remember calling Braniff about it and giving serious thought to getting a passport and heading over to London.

As for unlimited international First Class, Wow! I hope it gets offered again!

BHL, I have no postcards of Laker VC10s and so far as I know none were ever produced. I'm going to be at an airline collectibles convention in January. It's been awhile but if any of the postcard collecting luminaries such as Fred Hems or producers such as Joerg Jaeggin or Udo Shaeffer show up, I'll have to ask them.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm