FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes to Domestic Baggage Allowance for some Silver Medallions
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:18 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some random comments:

The people most likely to be affected are probably students and those who travel purely for leisure activities such as skiing and diving. This is probably a particularly low revenue subset of Silvers. While AmEx has programs for college students to get a regular charge card, I suspect many students and very young people would have a hard time qualifying for a DL AmEx, even though this could be a good way to build loyalty early. Students tend to graduate and get good professional jobs, sometimes in positions where they have some control over their own business travel.

I wonder how DL views the timing. Could they be predicting that this announcement will cause some FOs to try hard to make GM for next year, despite it being tough for most people to make MRs now and those MRs likely to involve expensive packed flights. The alternative is to panic and buy MQMs during the next few days, perhaps reasoning that the miles will cost less than bag fees and fees for E+ seats. Is this what DL expects the response to be?

Could there be concern in advance that Congress may mandate a free checked bag for every passenger and DL is worried that this will be required to be in addition to what is already provided. I think this is unlikely as I do not envision politicians defending FFs, but DL might feel that three free bags for all of their two million or so FOs in this case would be too expensive when fuel prices are high.