FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:22 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Closing up...

The two sides of United are... still two sided - the Continental Side and the "old" United side - and it shows in all sorts of ways with Ex-Continental routes calling themselves by the old name, and United having actually to interline luggage between itself. The different levels of service show with minor differences here and there in service offerings and operations. Even the United Clubs whilst re-branded show their Presidents Club or Red Carpet Club roots.

Now that United has one operating certificate, lets hope they start to merge the airline and the best of both cultures together. Because that would be a change I would like to see (to quote Jeff Smiesk). Still, it’s a stark improvement on United Mainline routes in October (where United put up quite a feeble performance that trip)

Transatlantic crossings in a Narrow body Jet - Unless the price is right, I'm going to stick to these wonderful Wide Bodied jets. With due respect, the Boeing 757-200 is a good jet doing this TATL job and makes economic sense to operate these thin and log routes. But if you've got a fully loaded jet and you're down the back end, it is akin to Dante's inferno with the lack of space onboard those birds compared with even a 767-300ER or even a A330.

If one was to compare the A320 series to the Boeing Narrow Body series, there's 1ft 4 inches difference in the inner cabin dimensions - and it makes a works of difference in shoulder room. So dear Airbus, please design a Narrow Body Jet that can do extended TATL ranges without running out of gas in high headwinds please - that’s not an A319.

As one advertiser said - size matters, but it's what you do with it that counts.

Aer Lingus as usual, delivered a good service in a short time frame. FlyBe on the other hand... yes, the on-board service was good. The wait and the lack of explanation of why our plane was delayed... was not good. It seems that not being prepared for a little bit of snow is an excuse for delays at BHD. Unimpressive... and just another reason why FlyBe live up to their misnomer of FlyMayBe.

The Travelodge... was a Travelodge. It did the job and I didn’t feel conned. These are all good things.

The Hyatt Summerfield Suites was a lovely discovery. From the full kitchen to a decent TV selection, to a bed that was comfortable. The free Internet access was a lovely bonus too. It’s a shame (like most Denver Airport hotels) it was 1) miles to get to and 2) in the middle of nowhere.

As for Denver. It’s a nice city.... but a car required city (as I have an aversion to driving normally), so I didn’t get the best out of the place. Put it like this: I wouldn’t be disappointed if Denver came up in a Mileage run at all again.

And that as they say is that for another year. No more flying till way into the New Year.

For my regular and not so regular readers, I’d like to extend a special thanks for putting up with more Economy Class drivel from me over the year and the exploits I’ve been on. For those too used to Business and First Class, I hope I’ve documented a dose of reality when your miles expire, your employer no longer pays for you to go in the big seats and you realise if you’re going away, it’s down the back. For the rest of us who travel in Economy, I hope I haven’t brought back too many nightmares

Coming up next... something a bit special. Ok, it’s going to very special.

Please join me in February/March for “Japan Bound - to Asia with ANA, Thai and Asiana featuring ANA’s Long Haul 787”

Comments welcome as always.

Previous trip reports:
LHR-BRU-LHR ... or "How do you burn a £50 BMI voucher without too much pain?"
MAN-ORD on BMI (29/10 ... or Did Kevin Make it to ORD?)
Kevin goes for a little mileage run on UA - ORD/CHM/IAD/EWR/ORD
ORD-MAN in BMI Premium Economy (with Pictures)
Kevin’s American Adventure – MAN-ORD-SEA-ORD-MAN (4 flights, 2 weeks) in Y..
ORD - MAN in BMI Premium Economy: How hard can a PE product drop? (also random moans)
LHR-PHL-SEA, SEA-PHX-ORD, ORD-PHL-LHR - In Y, Come and be scared with US!
LHR-SFO-LHR - If you're going to San Francisco - SFO MegaDO Trip report
Gold Run - Mr Kevincm goes to Washington with EI and US
Long Haul Commuter Run - LHR-IAD-ORD and back with UA
Saying Goodbye to a Friend - Travelling for the wrong reasons - LHR-PHL with UA (Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded)
The BA Y+/Y Class Long Haul Experience LHR-BKK/SIN-SYD and back on a bargain fare (Also on GhettoIFE.com -Expanded)
The Autumn Run - Mixing Business with Pleasure (C/F/Y adventures with UA and US) (Also on GhettoIFE.com -Expanded)
Long Way Home - The Spring Commute with UA and CO (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Atlanta or Bust (and Frankfurt too!) - (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Drinks in Belfast with the BMI Board with LCC’s - (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Kevin get’s a bit of Seoul - First and Business class with Asiana Airlines and Thai to Seoul and Hong Kong (Also on GhettoIFE.com - Expanded)
Mixed Classes and Infinite/Madness: The Autumn Run with United - LHR-ORD-LAS-LAX-SFO-DEN-LHR - Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded
Gold Run 2: Blame Canada! It's Only A Mileage Run anyway! (To YVR with AC, CO, BD..) also on Also on GhettoIFE.com - expanded
Re-Creating a Photo - To New York with United, British Airways and BMI Baby (Also on GhettoIFE.com)
Going the Canadian Way: To Chicago with Air Canada (LHR-YYZ-ORD in Y) (also on GhettoIFE.com)
SEN for £129? SEN Status Match Run with Swiss and Helvetic. (also on GhettoIFE.com)
Multimodal Mayhem with Coaches, Ferries, Brussels Airlines and Air Canada (also on GhettoIFE.com)
A Smooch of Chicago and a Kiss of DC – with United – LHR-ORD-IAD-LHR (also on GhettoIFE.com)

Last edited by Kevincm; Dec 12, 2011 at 6:27 pm