FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Narrow Minds and Narrow Bodies - To Denver with the New United, Aer Lingus and FlyBe
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:57 pm
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part XI, EWR-BFS

Leg 7 Newark Liberty International Airport - Belfast International Airport (Aldergrove)
CO94 - United Airlines (Continental Airlines) , Boeing 757-200WL, Seat 35A, Economy Class (New United Colours)
3177 miles flown, 3257 miles earned

The Pictures

I was welcomed aboard, and again, the crew were in good spirits for this transatlantic hop this evening. Look at the how the plane was loading, closer to the front it was packing into 3 x 3 with the rows occupied. Further back, it seemed to thin out into middle seat free’s. And again the middle seat was free.

Home for the final leg

Eventually the plane filled up with the load it had that night (I’d say 80% or so down the back), and we pushed back a few minutes bit late for the comparatively short hop to Belfast.

The problem with East coast hops is not enough time for a decent sleep. With 6:30 block to block stated, we were to make the crossing in a rapid 5:30 minutes. Now if we chop off the first two hours for dinner service, and the last hour for breakfast and tidy down, that leaves a short 2:30 minutes for a rest period. And that’s short amount of time, no matter how you cut it! Even a tagon to LHR would only give you an extra hour.

The joy of Jetstreams.

Once again Jeff Smiesk came on in *another* video (I swear this trip I’ve counted 3 different Jeff videos), this time with a bunch of flunkies walking around Chicago O’Hare with him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl3Nz4YH62A

Soon enough, it was our turn to line up on the runway and let those Rolls Royce RB-211’s power us into the night sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5tejA2rbDE

The plane took off into the night sky, again, banking around Newark (not that I saw this time as I was on the “wrong” side of the plane), the MetLife Stadium was still lit up like a Christmas tree, and the plane begun to track northwards before resuming the great circle path towards Belfast.

FOOTBALL!

Lighted up

Meanwhile, the cabin was quiet

Soon enough it was time for drinks and dinner, with a choice of beef or chicken. I risked the chicken again. The tray was handed over... and here’s what we’ve got.

The tray

A Salad.. with cheese????

The Chicken

The roll could had been used as a WMD this time - it was that hard. Newark Catering seemingly had a few pennies extra to include cheese in a salad. This is getting dangerously creative out of this catering branch! The Chicken, rice and beans were edible - not brilliant, but not bad. Sadly, it’s still much better catering than you’d get out of IAD.

A drinks run followed behind, and I had finally worked out the trick of getting a full can of cola - ask for one! The first run gave me a cup, but the second run gave me a full can.

Even with all this caffeine in my system, I managed to rest against the bulkhead and get some good shuteye before the breakfast service. Which on this very short hop - came around too soon.

The breakfast service I’ve complained as being feeble in the past, but looking back at all the other carriers who do the EU<>North America run, (and it pains me to say this), Continental operated routes have one of the best breakfasts down the back of the plane.

Breakfast service

Melon

Yes. That did hurt me quite badly to type that. Compared with US Airways “Hot Danish Pastry”, Air Canada’s Banana Bread, and MainLine United’s Pastry and a Pot of Yorgart, the Melon and Pastry option seems to be the best in the sky.

Make of that what you will.

A drinks service again followed, and slowly, the inky black of night turned into blue, and then the reds of the morning begun to appear.

A Transatlantic dawn

At this point the decent into Northern Ireland began, and I was treated to a visual feast as it seems what we call snow had fallen overnight.

Snow

Decent continued, and headed out of over Belfast, out of the bay and turned for Belfast International Airport.

And decent continued into the snowy thing that is Belfast International Airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSANiX8m_BE

After a short taxi, the plane parked at Belfast International Airport sole jetbridge at 2L, and I took my leave of the still smiling crew.

Overall: A great flight with wonderful smiling crew who actually seemed happy to be doing a service on this run as opposed to a Continental Crew I’ve had in the past (yes you lot in IAH, I’m looking at you). The service runs that were conducted suited the length of the flight and all in all - a great set of UA/CO flights.

Last edited by Kevincm; Dec 12, 2011 at 3:59 pm