FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taking our teenagers to Bali...will this work?
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:55 pm
Flatlander MDW

Taking our teenagers to Bali...will this work?

For the kids spring break from school next year (end of March, 2012) I gave my wife two options: San Diego and Bali. I figured she would shoot down Bali as being crazy but surprisingly she is intrigued. So now I'm on to phase 2, which is figuring out what we would do if we actually went and pricing out a trip.

I am interested in anyone who might have any experience with older kids going to Bali and what places/activities were of interest. I'm interested in specifically where you would stay (both area and type of accommodation) as well as activities to put high on the list. My initial thought is 3 days in Ubud, and 3 days in Seminyak. I was also thinking of renting a two bedroom villa as opposed to staying in a big hotel chain property but those are just initial thoughts.

Some background... Our kids are 15 and 14 and are old enough to not need/want "kid club" types of activities. I'm sure they would get a bit tired if all we did was cultural tours but they are OK with some cultural activities as long as its not in huge doses (part of the reason to go half way around the world would be to have them see something totally different).

Normal vacation activities for us include active things like hiking, biking, and especially nature/wildlife activities. Of course shopping, eating, and hanging by the pool are always high on our list as well. In short, our ideal vacation day is "touring" in the morning, and "hanging" in the afternoon. Too much of either one never seems to work.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I won't be offended if you say to save this trip for my wife and I and bring the kids to San Diego (I have had that thought).