View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 11, 5:00 pm   #1
3544quebec

Arrow Four Points Barcelona Diagonal, Spain [Master Thread]

I stayed at the 4 Points Barcelona Diagonal for a night last week and I found the hotel perfectly fine. A bit of detail as I seem to be the first to give a stay report
I actually quite like the area - it sits on the corner of Avengida Diagonal and La Rambla de Poblenou which is a Pedestrian Avenue that runs down to the beachfront and has quite a few open air restaurants.
Access
Its an easy 10min walk from El Clot Railway Station which is on the direct line to/from the Airport. Its a 5 min walk from Poblenou and Glories Metro station but given that getting from the Airport rail line to these metro stations involves 1 or 2 changes which can mean a reasonable length of walk making the connection anyway during which time you will be sized up by at least 537 of Barcelona's finest pickpockets (and I am speaking from intimate experience ), I did and always would choose the single rail journey to El Clot and the flat 10 min walk rather than the Rail/Metro option.
The hotel also must have a shuttle service to the airport because they did ask at check-in if I wanted a shuttle next day but I didn't ask for details.
Service
Friendly and efficient, with everyone perfectly fluent in English
Rooms
Not particularly large (think 4 Points Darling Harbour standard rooms) but obviously totally refurbished prior to the recent rebranding. The website seems to list 3 room types: Standard, Preferred (higher floor with better view) and Comfort (not too sure what the distinction is with those ? larger)
Facilities
Complimentary Wi-Fi for all
Business Centre (didn't check it out)
Fitness Centre apparently opening on the top floor in Feb/Mar 2012
Restaurant
Light and buzzy looking out onto Avengida Diagonal, good friendly service, nice reasonably priced menu including the standard Spanish fixed price lunch special for Euro 13 which was very good value - Appetiser (pasta,soup or good salad bar), Main (fish,beef,pork and chicken dishes) and Dessert with bread, mineral water and a bottomless glass of house wine.
Left prior to breakfast, but given the quality of the restaurant i would think it would be good.
What's Nearby?
Lots of and varied restaurants, 5 mins walk to Glories Shopping Centre with a huge Carrefours Supermarket (think Walmart Super Centre),Cinema Complex, Multiple shops and large food court
15 min walk down the Pedestrian Mall to the beach front
5-10 min walk to El Clot Mercat -looks like a large fresh produce market - and the surrounding area of El Clot is a pleasant neighbourhood
Local Transport
Major tram lines to the city centre, 2 metro stations within 5 mins walk and multiple bus lines at your doorstep.
Elite Recognition
Recognised Platinum status at check-in and offered Platinum Amenity. Asked if I could wait 10-15 mins at check-in (around 1pm) so that they could assign me a better room. 10-15 mins became half an hour (this is Spain after all - apologies to Catalunyan nationalists) and 2 more guests checked in and assigned rooms while I was waiting. When I got to my room it was on the 4th floor (? of 12) so clearly not a Preferred Room with city views and it certainly couldn't have been much smaller ( unless in Hong Kong) so I was a bit bemused as to what I had waited for -perhaps a King bed rather than twin. But I was only there for 14 hrs so wasn't too upset at this upgrade

Overall
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. Clearly not in the same league as The W or Le Meridien but a fraction of the price as well. I had a BRG approved and paid about Euro 80. I love The W but would consider staying at the 4 Points if the rate differential was over Euro100 or so (which it usually is). If I had some FWN awards i think I'd still go with The W
I have stayed at the nearby HI Express which is usually priced a bit higher than the current 4 Points rates and the 2 hotels are chalk and cheese. The 4 Points is a couple of notches above in quality/amenities. Whether its prices will rise after its opening period - we will have to see. certainly good value at present rates.
3544quebec is offline   Reply With Quote