FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recovering from an Arm Operation
View Single Post
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:54 am
chimambu

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
Originally Posted by hsmall
Dear all

My husband (who perhaps fortunately in view of this post does not read FT, indeed legitimately lambasts me for the time I spend on it), fell over while rushing around the school he is head of preparing for an inspection (those in the profession will understand his angst). He broke his humerus and had to have an operation in mid-November to pin the two bits of bone back together again (I am sure there are more technical terms for this ).

He is now back at work, principally without a sling. His consultant says he is fit to travel.

On Christmas Eve we are travelling in CW to SFO. He is nervous because he is quite large and is worried that the arm, which is still painful despite the cocktail of drugs he has been prescribed, will be hurt more by the squash of being in a new club world seat. It's his right arm. We thought the best place for him would be in a rear facing upper deck seat (not the exit row obviously as he couldn't manipulate the exit doors) where he can rest the arm with the aid of many pillows on the shelf where the lockers are. He is worried that that will be too low for comfort and he will be painfully squashed.

I would normally cancel the trip regardless of the cost, but my elderly mother is coming too so that option is difficult. I therefore wondered if there is anyone who has travelled with this sort of injury before and whether there are any tips either about the best seats or how to travel with the said injury, I would be most grateful indeed. I'd really like to relieve his anxiety if that it a reasonable thing to do.

Thanks a lot.

On a totally unrelated point I am flying LAX-SFO in business on AA next week. I am looking forward to seeing the differences with BA, not having flown AA transatlantic for a decade or so...
If he had his operation in mid-November, Christmas eve would be about 6 weeks from the surgery. Though there are variations in rates of healing, he should not be in SIGNIFICANT pain then. This is because the bones would have knitted enough together not to be flapping about in the wind.

You did not indicate whether he had a plate on the bone or a rod within the bone. The latter would probably be more comfortable initially.

The best seats would have been 62A or 62K though these are out of the question for him. Any of the A seats in the lower cabin would be my initial choice and Es as 2nd choice if he is travelling with you. I am assuming it his right arm. If it is his left arm, it would be K and F respectively.

I expect him to be fine, whatever you decide, a sling during the journey would evoke the necessary sympathy and support and prevent people bumping into his arm. Keep fingers and arm moving and be mobile in the plane to prevent other problems.