FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do banks compensate "no forex fee" with worse forex rates?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:11 pm
gnaget

Programs: UA *G MM
I opened a Capital One bank account last year in case something happened to my regular local bank that was put under OTS watch in 2010. This local bank used to offer interbank rate cash via ATM with no fees. I checked versus Oanda several times and it was correct. However, just after the OTS watch announcement they implemented a 1% fee that shows up as two line items in your bank statement.

Cap One checking had a $2 fee so was better if you took out more than $200. But I got an email about "high yield checking" and changed my account to that, and one benefit was no ATM fees. It was a bit vague about international. They told me that they still charge the $2 (even though it says "no ATM fees anywhere") but then credit back up to $15 in fees at the end of the month.

However on my first statement I had two intl ATMs. No fees and no credit/debit of fees. In reality I don't think they charge any fees on their side.

In any case, I recommend Cap One High Yield if you want a checking with no ATM fees internationally. It's also useful that they credit up to $15 if you travel in the US.