FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Maldives [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:30 pm
muntz73

Programs: D E L T A Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I am typing this from the W Maldives.

I was speaking to the GM and in conversation he said that 3rd party bookers do not get SPG points. Consider that when you book as the value of the points may weigh in your decision. Especially with double/trip point promotions, etc.

I was expecting sticker shock for the bar and was pleasantly surprised. Finlandia, Sky, and Absolut Vodka drinks are only $9. Kettle One is $12 and Grey Goose is $14. These are the same prices as W hotels in the states.

Food is pricey but very good. The chef actually prepared a Thanksgiving dinner last night that was $150/couple. It was very good food and well prepared and presented.

As for upgrades, I booked the cheapest room. I'm a Platinum and I may have hit the upgrade lottery as I was put in room 301 which is the 2nd largest room on the property. It is a 3000 s.f. 2 bedroom 2.5 bath suite. It is amazing.

The people are very friendly and you get the genuine sense they care about you.

No mistake about it, this place is expensive and isn't easy to get to. But after seeing small sharks and stingrays right next to our room and waking up to crystal blue water it is definitely worth it.

The ice cream and drink stations are very cool. I must say after coming from the Sheraton Maldives which is very bland and food and beverage is more expensive that it is hard not to have a "free" coke from the station where it would normally charge you $5.

One travel note to pass along. If you are transiting through Colombo like we did the connection times don't really synch well. We had a 6 hour layover between flights. You can't go to gate area early and you are forced to sit in what is really 3rd world conditions. They waiting area was packed full as there were probably 200 people in our same boat. After checking in I learned that Sri Lankan Airlines has a very nice transit hotel that you can use for for $46 for 6 hours that is right above the gates. If you come in on another airline you don't even need to go through customs. Just have your bags tagged to your final destination from your original carrier and you can enjoy the hotel room. I ASSURE you this is money well spent. We will be using it on our 6 hour layover on our return.