FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transit in TLV
Thread: Transit in TLV
View Single Post
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:48 pm
anabolism

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
OK, now I understand. You will need to clear immigration, and then head right back through security. TLV isn't really set up for transfers, except perhaps with LY flight to/from Far East.

I would not risk a 2 hour connection. Go for the 11 hour one, and spend some time in Tel Aviv.
We wanted to avoid that for three reasons:
  1. We're on a fairly short set of overnights to get in to TLV, so we'll be exhausted;
  2. We only have 2-4 days in each stop of the RTW, so if we spend the day in TLV, we'll only have one full day in Madrid;
  3. We'll have visited Tel Aviv at the start of the RTW (in April).
IB just opened up award space on the early flight to MAD, so we now have about 2.5 hours for TLV.

Originally Posted by damaxer91
Are there good RTW fares that start in TLV and include LY? There was a great QF/LY J RTW Fare which I took advantage of way back but haven't seen another in a while
The LY flights were positioning after the RTW ended (not part of the RTW), and were on awards. We switched them to IB, but that means we paid an extra $450 or so for the privilege of moving award flights from OW to LY and back (as space opened up on better flights).

I recall discussion of the LY RTW, but we never used it partly because flying LY doesn't earn AA elite-status bonus miles nor elite-qualifying miles or points.