FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Northern Lights in Alaska
View Single Post
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:49 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BOB W
The road will take approx. 8 hours each way if you drive the speed limit. Unless there is a winter storm (quite possible) you will be fine in a front wheel drive car.
Some rental companies in Anchorage offer studded cars for an additional surcharge that may come out to less than the cost of an SUV. I would recommend looking into that option if the weather looks questionable. (They're typically available as day-of-rental upgrades and can't be reserved in advance, although 6 or so hours before you arrive and letting them know you're interested in studs might help there to be one available.) I do not know if any of the companies that allow one-way rentals to or from Fairbanks have studs. That may be a limiting factor if you want to do that.

I'd make it a point to stay out in Chena Hot Springs if/when you go to Fairbanks. (You'll need a car to get out there, so rent one in Fairbanks if you don't have a rental from Anchorage.) It's far enough out of the city that you won't be affected by light pollution. The weather in Interior Alaska tends to be clearer than along the coast, so a night or two at Chena makes for great chances of seeing the Northern Lights. Plus there's nothing quite like dipping down in the 106-degree water and then standing straight up and getting crusted by a coating of ice in the -20-degree (yes, minus 20) weather....and then dunking back down and repeating the cycle. It's one of the most exhilarating experiences I've ever done.

Originally Posted by BOB W
As has been said before, the ANC group tries very hard to meet up with our visitors. There is a thread in the AS forum that we track for that.
Link in my signature.