FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 13: What role can Talkboard have in making FT more welcoming?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:12 am
Ancien Maestro
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A Welcoming Tone for those New to FlyerTalk!

There was mention of this topic on my platform message.. one of the main reasons why its' important to me to run for a position on TalkBoard..

Compared to some of the members, I'm a rather Newbie.. and have gone through the scathing remarks of misunderstood protocol when new here on the FlyerTalk Forum. I want to first apologize for not understanding fully the TOS and the unwritten protocol from the very beginning that's expected for all members when having first arrived.. Hindsight is 20/20, the rules are sort of like an encyclopedia, that must be read through and understood several times over, and experience reading, navigating and posting on the FlyerTalk Forum is necessary to get the hang of what FlyerTalk is all about..

Make no mistake.. 95% of the members were great, and the L/Earning process seemed to take off from the beginning. Sometimes its the 5% or less of the FlyerTalk Members posts/responses that turn Members off, and what's most remembered.. At a Fairmont Banff Springs GolfDo, I had the pleasure of golfing with another FT dad with kids similar age of my 6 year old and 1 year old. He is a frequent flier, but his comment to me was he avoided reading and posting on FlyerTalk regularly because of the unexpected Flaming experienced that required his followup..

Carefully chosen words, can send the same message, but be graceful in the delivery..

Its' great that there are FlyerTalk Ambassadors' that are appointed by FlyerTalk to give a warm welcome to those new on the forum. We can all be FlyerTalk Ambassadors' in a sense without having the official title..

My presence on the Board would give the TalkBoard perspective from a Newbie. This would help to pass policies that would make FlyerTalk more user friendly for those new to the Board. The overall tone can be addressed as well so that all FlyerTalk members' feel welcomed. This would increase Retention.. by compassionate Attention.

As I've suggested on my platform, perhaps an etiquette checklist that is in addition to the TOS could be made available for all ongoing members to remind of the desired conduct here on FT. This may help moderators in their quest to put out fires, for those involved with heated exchanges could be sent gentle reminders of expected FT ettiquette and conduct. We all desire compassion and respect.. we can all as FlyerTalk Members discuss topics with language reflecting compassion and respect for one another..