FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 11: Where have you contributed content? helped build community?
Old Nov 7, 2011, 6:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I have thousands of posts on the Southwest forum, since I fly them every week. Long ago I was one of the instigators of the thread on earning miles by purchasing US Savings Bonds. What a great deal that was!

I wrote the first version of the Southwest and Rapid Rewards mega-FAQ in 2005. Later that year I rewrote it in Wiki form.

I pioneered the use of a locked news flash thread, to which users can subscribe for instant email notification of major program news.

I have authored some internal documents for the moderator corps, primarily on the subject of effective communication.

I have taken the lead on two topics during my 3 years on TalkBoard:
I have also served as Secretary and Vice President of the TalkBoard this year, responsible for communicating decisions and pending votes to FT members.

Within the TalkBoard I have promoted the approach of running straw polls to refine proposals and win consensus before moving to a formal vote. This is why we have seen many 9-0 and 8-1 votes, and it's also why some subjects never came to a vote. This approach also minimizes incidents of re-voting on the same subject, provided that the TalkBoard members pay sufficient attention to the straw polls.