FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Fall 2011 Trip report III: Dreamliner Boeing 787 Inaugural
Old Nov 7, 2011, 3:03 pm
Carfield

Of course I immediately went up to the observation deck and took a few pictures of the 787 at night – it came out better than expected. The plane looked marvelous at night!

For the return flight to Tokyo, I took the 7:55pm Japan Airlines flight, and check-in was easy. Then I went into the gate earlier just to catch the celebratory party for the return ANA 787 flight. Hiroshima seemed to put more effort in getting a party going – maybe I should selected this flight in the first place. Their gift bag looked nicer. There was a podium setting up and a speech made in Japanese. The cute little boy pilot is still here and handing out bags to passengers. Anyway here were a few pictures of the Hiroshima’s inaugural parties.

In conclusion, I think I am happy to be part of this special day of celebration and, it is truly a special occasion to remember and it is good to feel the celebratory tone of the enthusiast reception of the 787s here in Japan. Civil aviation definitely matters here. Boeing 787 is definitely a special aircraft. However, I can’t help to feel a bit of a let down by both the promises of the aircraft and ANA.

Regarding ANA, it is clear that it wants to limit the inaugural activities to Japanese only, and I don’t want to repeat too much. There is a purposeful lack of communication to non-Japanese speaking passengers, and therefore, it is hard for us to even get a single seat on the first day of operation. Second, the domestic BOB program is fine only if you still maintain the basic level of complimentary service, which is really not much from the beginning. When I feel that Air Do, LCC, has more free beverage choices than you, ANA has a serious identity issue, as the next batch of LCCs arriving in the scene. Third, how can there not be any serious English public announcement on the inaugural flight is beyond me? Air Do has no English P/A, which I am not surprised, but ANA on a special day like this, it is just wrong. There should also be a bit more festivity for the Hiroshima launch too. I know trolley service may be difficult but at least make a few beverage rounds using trays, or walking around the cabin with the “My Choice” catalogues. Finally ANA really cramped too many seat into this domestic version, and the fixed shell seats work only if you haves some seat pitch for passengers to slide forwards. There is just none except you are in the first mini cabin and the exit rows.

The plane itself is definitely technologically advance but passenger comfort is fairly limited to these features – large windows with five shade setting, which is the definitely one aspect of the plane that I like very much. I am worried about the maintenances of these controls and fellow passengers, please be aware that it is easier to move from bright to dark, but not the other way. It takes some times for the tint to be removed. Be patient! The new overhead bins are huge and should resolve some of the carryon issues here in the US. I like the new design of the bathroom door, and how the door can avoid people banging into someone when they opened the door outward. The Japanese bathroom flush and bidet system is ANA only, but is a nice optional feature. The flight is too short to find out what the effect of air being less dry is. The plane is also pressurized at a 6,000feet level, which means air that is less dry, but the flight is too short to display its intent effect of feeling less tired on arrival. The cabin also does not look as tall as the advertisement suggests, or dramatically different from Boeing 777s.

I personally think that this plane is built not mainly to enhance passengers’ comfort per se, but to improve the cost effectiveness of airlines’ operation, and despite all the fancy mockups and demonstrations, these planes are meant to make lots of $$$ for airlines by enabling them to cramp many seats in. The comfort of the plane is fundamentally determined by the airline, but I have to say that I don’t feel the “wow” factor. Maybe the advertisement sets the expectation up too high, and at the end, ANA really puts many seats in the domestic operation, and seat comfort just does not exist. Nonetheless, the plane definitely performs very well during takeoff and landing. I am not a technical person, but the flap looked very different from other Boeing wide-bodied planes. The noise level is lower than Boeing 777 for sure, but I think they should have gone further like Airbus A380. There were complaints about A380s being too quiet, but I personally prefer human’s snoring signs to humming sounds from a plane engine. The plane also performs smoothly during takeoff and landing and it flies very smooth at 36,000feet. The plane performs excellently from a technological perspective, and it maneuvers very well turning left or right. In terms of turbulence, the one-hour flight and perfect flying weather make it a very smooth flight. Moreover, I really believe that Boeing 787 is more designed to accommodate eight abreast seating in Y, instead of nine. If it is a charter airline, it will be acceptable to have a 3-3-3 seating, but for a full service, that is unthinkable especially how the width of the seat will be compromised and the aisles will be so narrow. I hope the few major airlines, which are considering a nine abreast arrangements, will change their minds because the plane isn’t that wide, and the triple sevens is more spacious. However if it aims to replace 767-300, 787 does a brilliant job. I have no doubt that this plane is a product of the twenty-first century, and features lots of special characteristics, which are not possible before. Technology is amazing on this plane, but from a passenger perspective, it is a bit limited in terms of comfort and passenger cabin innovation. I sort of expect a high ceiling and more headroom, but do not really get it. I sincerely hope that ANA will install more seat pitch in its economy class for the long haul and regional flights. They are really uncomfortable.

I want to reiterate that I am not saying that 787 is awful, but just feel short of my expectations. I simply feel, as a passenger, comfort does not seem to be Boeing’s main priority, and of course, I know it really depends on how individual airlines are willing to configure the plane, but I just feel something better can be done. Big windows are nice and I like the shade setting, as well as the larger overhead bins. Other than that, the plane seems to be a slightly larger version of 767 with an updated interior. That is again from a passenger’s perspective.

My main disappointment is ANA, which bears some responsibilities for making these inaugural activities to be Japanese specific, rather than addressing a global audience that the “inspiration of Japan” advertisement scheme seems to suggest. I feel that it should have disclosed more information prior to flight so people can make plans accordingly.

Anyway, I look forward flying another 787 operator soon, and I hope to hear from fellow 787flyers regarding their impression and feelings about the aircraft, especially the interior and comfort level.

Thanks for reading and the final part will cover Lufthansa’s new first class service from Kansai to Frankfurt. LH has just introduced Boeing 747-400 on the Kansai flight a few days ago – October 30 to be exact, and KIX is one of the routes featuring the new First Class in the winter schedule, which is actually surprising.

Carfield