FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question 3: What technical changes would you like for FlyerTalk?
Old Nov 5, 2011, 2:50 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
To be completely honest, we're somewhat limited in terms of technological progress by what's on the road map for our owners, Internet Brands.

One major factor is that Internet Brands owns vBulletin, the software platform FlyerTalk runs on. That's a double-edged sword in that we're pretty much tied to vBulletin even if a better product comes out, but the upside is given that it's part of the same corporate family, in theory, some of our key needs have a slightly better chance of making it on the vBulletin team's development road map than requests from third parties.

It's that tie-in that I've worked over the last couple of years. I've formed a good working relationship with some of the key people inside the Internet Brands organization and have brought several technical challenges to their attention. Not all are yet fixed, but many items (including bugs and feature requests with the still-admittedly-lacking iPhone app) are now on the vBulletin team roadmap that might otherwise not have been there.

If it were entirely up to me, I'd fully support looking at a modern platform that both updates the look, feel, and organization/functionality of the forum interface as well as incorporates (in a useful fashion) some of the modern social networking features that users nowadays almost expect. A well-designed mobile (and tablet) app that incorporates all of the commonly-used features is a given, too, complete with push notifications, email notifications with reply-by-email, useful search, is also a given.

However, if my time working with Internet Brands has taught me anything, it's that Internet Brands is extremely cautious when rolling out new versions, and their development teams move at an almost glacial pace. These (and all of the feature requests posted above) are all excellent and should be implemented ASAP, but unless TalkBoard members have PHP and Objective-C coding experience and can do it themselves, the best chance we have of getting our needs met is to elect people who can summarize the FlyerTalk community's primary needs and present them to key people within Internet Brands who have the ability to get those projects put on the road map.

That's me, and I'll continue to do that if I am able to serve another term.