FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Secondary after swab alarm
View Single Post
Old Nov 5, 2011, 12:07 am
average_passenger

Originally Posted by 10mmAutoFan
Yes, I interact with them weekly as I travel throughout the country. When their requests of me are too great -- I leave, rather than subject myself to sexual assault.

So far, I've only had to walk away from a screening check point after the process had begun once -- and that was at IND (I described it in another post). Usually, when confronted with facts - the supervisors back off of the intimidation game, and comply within their actual limits of "authority".

The courts have ruled that TSOs are not law enforcement officers, and may not search, seize, or detain. Your relationship and interaction with TSOs is one of a voluntary nature -- a consenual administrative search. You are completely free to stop the process walk away at any time. You may not get to fly that day, but you can gather your things and walk away.

Heaven help the local airport LEO that chooses to act outside his/her scope in response to emotional intimidation techniques of the TSA - and places me under arrest because of it. I'll win in court and the officer and department will be spending a lot of time in depositions and the insurance carrier for their law enforcement liability coverage will be writing a check.

My profession is that of a risk management, safety and security consultant to government entities. I work with law enforcement agencies throughout the US -- and although my role is to try to keep bad things from happening (protecting the LEOs from claims/lawsuits) to them, I will not hesitate to use my knowledge and legal resources (i.e. attorneys versed in law enforcement liability claims) to file an action under 42 USC 1983 if my civil rights are violated.
I hope you didn't think I was trying to insult you!! I wish I had your knowledge. That's great that they stop being intimidating with you. There are groups of people that the TSA will continue to intimidate -groups such as elderly citizens, handicapped people, cute young girls, and children.

BTW, You say that you can stop the screening process at any time? What about the John Tyner (don't touch my junk) case?