FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask the Pilot: Gear Up!
View Single Post
Old Nov 2, 2011, 6:32 pm
GateHold

Ask the Pilot: Gear Up!

Now up in my ASK THE PILOT column at Salon.com: GEAR UP!

On Tuesday afternoon, a LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 767 made a graceful touchdown at then airport in Warsaw. The problem was, the plane had no landing gear. Incidentally I fly 767s, so this story was of particular interest to me...

Some excerpts:

".... Landing gear malfunctions tend to be splendidly telegenic, but rarely if ever are they going to end in catastrophe. What made Tuesday's LOT mishap somewhat different, and potentially more hazardous, was that NONE of the jet's three assemblies had come down. This increased the likelihood of a fire or serious structural damage, as both of the plane's massive engines would be sliding along the pavement at high speed. Directional control would also be difficult -- probably the most challenging aspect of the landing...

...Nevertheless, what we saw unfold is about what I, for one, would have * expected * to unfold. The landing itself would have been perfectly routine up to the last second. From a pilot's perspective there's no real trick other than to touch down as slowly and smoothly and with the wings as level possible -- not a whole lot different from normal. (Approach and landing speeds are determined by weight, not technique: the jet would have been comparatively light, having burned away most of its fuel during the long flight from America.)

...The key to minimizing damage and injury in a situation like this is preparation. The aircraft circled above Warsaw providing ample time for the pilots to troubleshoot, run their checklists, and to brief the rest of the crew and passengers on what to expect. The flight attendants would haver reviewed their evacuation procedures, stowed away loose items and made sure everyone was ready. On the ground below, fire and rescue crews got into position (as did the gawkers with their cellphones and cameras). Really this wasn't about pilot technique or seat-of-the-pants skills so much as preparation, coordination, and good * management * of a crisis.

The million-dollar question, meanwhile, is how in the world did all three landing gear units of a modern commercial airliner fail to come down?..."

The FULL article can be read for free here:

http://life.salon.com/2011/11/01/saf...ing/singleton/

Recently in ASK THE PILOT:

OH MY GOD, THEY'RE DUCT-TAPING OUR PLANE!

The FULL story, click here:
http://life.salon.com/2011/10/27/rya...rsy/singleton/

Enjoy,
PS