FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question about flying on Christmas day
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:06 pm
hazelrah

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by chiefkays
Last year, all flights at Christmas were a mess because of the weather. Delta was preemptively canceling flights left and right, so the airports got really ugly at times.

Normally, for a 12pm flight on Christmas day, the airport is bound to look about the same as any other day. However, as folks have stated, the amount of flights is actually less than normal, but the travellers tend to be more inexperienced. The nice part is that when you arrive at your destination at night, the airport will be dead. So, you'll be able to grab you bags and get out of the airport quickly.
One winter I flew on the 22nd Dec. to my home for Xmas . Think you'd be safe, right? WRONG. Our Pinnacle flight crew got sick or wasn't available that evening stranding us all in MSP overnight. The next day (23rd) weather hit and flights were cancelled left and right. The 24th flights all booked solid - managed to snag last flight out on XMAS Eve because I threatened a trip in vain.

So be aware that you could be stranded for quite some time due to overbookings/capacity reductions/weather/crew sicks or shortages.

Last edited by hazelrah; Oct 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm