FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Contact Lens Solution for Carry-On
View Single Post
Old Oct 28, 2011, 8:40 am
texmanufan

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by atlas_shrugged
Hi All,

Quick question. I'm getting annoyed by having to throw away my contact lens solution (300 ml) bottle because it doesn't meet the 100 mL or less requirement for liquids. This is when I carry-on luggage, and not checked-in. I know that they have the smaller bottles of contact lens solution, but for my brand (Alcon Replenish), they seem to only come as a freebie when you buy the larger bottle.

I do most of my travel in Asia (especially domestic China). I do realize that in the USA, TSA allows you to bring contact lens solution above the 100 mL requirement as it qualifies as a medical supply. However, that doesn't apply here in China.

I am considering transferring my contact lens solution to a smaller bottle (100 mL). But am concerned that it will no longer be sterile. I would buy a premium bottle, of HDPE material. Have you done this, and would you be concerned?

Thanks!
Even if the larger size bottle was sterile, once you open it wouldn't be. I am pretty sure Replenish has a preservative. I would say that transferring only about what you would need for a trip to smaller bottle for a trip would be okay. Probably just call your Eyecare practitioner or contact Alcon.