FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...
Old Oct 28, 2011, 12:46 am
mikelat

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ssafro1
So here is the dilemma?

My AC membership expries in Nov. I can renew at the gold rate (plus assumably some discount). However, I just started a new job and can upgrade my corporate Amex to Plat for around $275/yr (they cover I think $100 of the fee). As you are aware, the card comes with AA club access as well as Delta and United amongst the perks. However, I doubt if AA sees much if any of that money and I have never flown the other two airlines... so its not much of an added perk for me.

So the question is-- do you think I could bargain with the AAngel?? I just figured as of right now it would be easier to renew my membership than to upgrade to the Plat card, etc.

Last, without mentioning this option-- is the general consensus that most of the time they can find a discount for about 20% off renewal?

Thanks
Amex Plat no longer includes CO/UA club access. That ended recently. You get AA/DL/US club access when flying on a ticket including the carrier.

With Amex Plat you do get Select Priority Pass, but that no longer include UA/CO clubs.

As for bargaining with the AAnger, I doubt you'll have any luck there. I'd be very surprised if they had any power to negotiate fees.

If you want an AAdmiral's club membership then I think you are stuck with whatever the current promotions are. I don't think you'll get any greater discounts.

Personally, I go with the Amex Plat and it's complimentary AAdmiral's club access. Then I use my EXP status to get access/drinks on my INTL itineraries.