FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A first for me - A-List nets a B-5
View Single Post
Old Oct 27, 2011, 11:37 am
jn in ca

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jasonvr
So, for this mornings flight where I was A51.

A48 - A-List
A50 - A-List
A54 - Not A-List

So it seems that for that flight I was in the A-List grouping, but at the VERY tail end of it. My WN flying has been way down this year and I won't make A-List again next year. I have always speculated that the amount of recent flight activity somehow influenced where in the A-List grouping you were. When I was doing an RT every week, my numbers seemed to get progressively better, even on the exact same flights each week.

What's annoying is that now as B-5, I am technically after families even though I am A-List. I probably don't really have to worry since I only have a computer bag and the route is heavily business so not likely to have lots of families, but still....
Oh, I don't think anyone at WN denies that when they do the T-36 assignment, there is a pecking order among the A listers. (vs. EBCI, which is done strictly by the time-stamp.)

I'll offer a totally different explanation for the B-5. Maybe there is a big group flying to SNA, going to Disneyland. I know that trying the "check in at exactly T-24" thing does not work too well for LAS and MCO, allegedly because of all the groups, so maybe you'll find a big group of FFs on vacation ahead of you at the gate.

If not, then I think the "switch to calender year" mentioned above is probably the explanation. Another unintended consequence of all the changes management has been making to prove they are just as smart as Herb was.

Originally Posted by boeing727
Just as a comparison...
I am A+, fly STL-PHL twice a month (and some other destinations), pay fares in the $125-$230 range each way (WGA 50%, AF 20%, BS 30%), and have flown 50+ flights year-to-date. I have never been less than A18, and usually A16 or A17. BS fare never greater than A4, and usually A1 or A2.
Interesting. BS has turned out to be a funny bird. Usually there are no more than a couple of BS tickets sold. They usually only sell for last minute purchases. After all, why buy BS when you can buy AF + EBCI for less? So, usually, getting an A17 feels more like getting A6. Once in a while though, BS completely sells out. It's why I could design a much better system than BS, but that's off topic.