FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
View Single Post
Old Oct 22, 2011, 9:48 am
Fly Me To The Moon

Some Final Comments

I checked out this morning, but would like to give some last comments regarding my first stay there.

I realize that the hotel is in the soft opening stages, but I did feel that some things were lacking in the room and need to be addressed: (1) no internet cable for wired internet access; (2) no pens, notepads, nor stationery in room; (3) the sinks in the bathroom do not have plugs...you cannot fill up the sink with water; (4) the XL rooms feels quite "empty" and needs more furniture.

In general, the attitude of the staff seem quite impersonal, when compared with Hyatt on the Bund's staff. Maybe the staff have not warmed up to their job yet, and I trust (hope) that this will improve over time. English-speaking ability is also not on par with the Bund property or with some other five-star hotels.

Breakfast in HaiPai is nothing special. In fact, very similar to the Bund Club's breakfast at Hyatt on the Bund: a daily ham, sausages, egg station, pastry and breads, fresh-cut fruit. There is supposed to be a Chinese section on the other side of the restaurant, but I did not try on both mornings I was there. I did have dinner one night at HaiPai, and the food was good...the menu prices are significantly less expensive than those at Hyatt on the Bund property (e.g. RMB 120 vs. 85 for a hamburger).

I will probably stick with Hyatt on the Bund for my future stays, unless there is a specific need to be in the Xintiandi area.