FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Global Entry fee refund - Plat and 1K [new credit process as of 27 Jul 2012]
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:59 am
MBS MillionMiler
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Have GE too, love it. Hasn't saved me a ton of time (yet), but I'm a GE newbie and have only used it twice so far.

Originally Posted by ~tc~
I understand it can take a few months to get the appointment for the interview. Should I apply now?
If appointment times run long at your home airport, consider a lesser wait time in another city. I don't have the luxury of being within 100 miles of a GE office (MBS does have a Customs facility, but certainly no GE at the small airport). Anyway, I booked a little longer layover on a trip and did it at ORD. My other options included driving 2 hours to DTW, or hitting another city like LAX or SFO on the beginning/end of a different trip.

Anyway, I landed at ORD, left Terminal 1, took the tram to T5...Arrived a half hour early for my appointment, was seen in 10 minutes. The whole 'interview' took maybe a half hour, went back to T1, re-cleared security and caught my next flight. The agent who interviewed me, her family has property in my area--we spent most of the interview time talking about the area. ^

You are not geographically restricted to certain CBP offices based on your residence...Consider another city if it's a shorter wait time or more convenient based on your travels.