FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Vehicle Break Down Issue
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:03 am
kwildnj

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by spanishflea
On the final day, a few hours before our return flight, we loaded up the car and attempted to drive to the airport.

Originally Posted by spanishflea
We had no time to call Hertz and arrange for an alternative vehicle if we were to have any chance of making our flight, so we ditched the car and got a taxi to the airport instead, which cost 45 euros.

While I feel for you, I also feel that you should have handled things much differently.

Why did you not call Hertz immediately upon discovering you could not start the car? -- You claim that you attempted leave for the airport "a few hours before our return flight" Judging by a $45 cab fare, you could not have been too far away. -- You also had time to call for a taxi, why not at least try and call Hertz?

In my two experiences dealing with their emergency assistance, they were able to get a tow truck and/or service vehicle out to me within 30 minutes of my call. --- Had you actually called them, they could have given you information about what to do. --- Which could have been what you indeed did (leaving car secured, and getting to airport), or they may even have been able to dispatch a tow to you to transport you (and the vehicle) to the airport returns center without much delay.

That all said, Hertz should definitely reimburse you the cost of the Taxi to the airport, and also refund the fuel refill service fee. As far as the actual cost of the gas, I see no reason Hertz should refund that, as you actually did use gas. --- Unless of course they charged you a non-market price for gas.