FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redeeming Amex companion certificate -- no fares found but I can find some
Old Oct 20, 2011, 8:14 am
Crackerpup

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
Dealt with this 2 days ago...

I was trying to book NYC-LAS using a companion certificate wanting to fly out of JFK (direct) and back through ATL (times/seats better).

When I searched as a NYC-LAS r/t, couldn't get the return flights I wanted (fare class wasn't a problem). They didn't show up by schedule or price. Searched by segment by schedule and found what I wanted with U outbound and T on the return.

Tried to complete the booking and use certs to pay (i.e. companion certificate). Doesn't work that way.

Start with companion certificate; check the box next to cert # and click continue. Now you can book a flight. That's my learning #1.

#2 You MUST fly r/t between the exact same airport - no co-terminals permitted. After speaking to the DM line, I was transferred to IT because I could see the flights I wanted and could not book. IT confirmed to start with the cert and start/end airports must be the same.

When I searched starting with the companion certificate, the search shows complete r/t only and it lets you select by flight if you want (i.e. "this outbound flight" within the total r/t). When I did this and started from JFK, only JFK showed as a return option despite LGA being an option with this flight on the previous screen. When I clicked LGA as the outbound, same thing with only LGA as a return option.

Ended up JFK-LAS, LAS-JFK direct flights and good seats, but not optimal (as we FTs always strive to achieve). Evidently they've removed the "split the PNR, join the upgrade list" loophole, so not really expecting that to happen even on departure day. Oh well...at least the cost worked out to about $170 pp AI. (Oh yeah... I get the MQMs, RDMs, AMEX bonus miles, AND hopefully my birthday bonus.)