FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is the "United Club" worth it for 2012?
View Single Post
Old Oct 19, 2011, 6:02 pm
DELee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Multi-part response + Question for CO Platinums

My thanks to all who've responded - my responses to your comments and suggestions below. One question for CO Platinums who've renewed UC/RCC/PC memberships recently - did you get a better rate than $400?

Originally Posted by GSBEWR
If you do not want to purchase an annual United Club membership, your other option would be to get either a Mileage Plus Explorer or Presidential Plus credit card. The MPE card gives you two one-time passes a year while the PPlus card gives you a full membership, plus a host of other benefits.
My biggest concern about the Presidential Plus CC is my paranoia about what UACO could change after they offer their United version in 2012. That being said, for $395, getting the UC as well as the other benefits is very nice. If I weren't already a 1P, the card's "Premier" benefits would be a big plus. Also, if I didn't already have the Hyatt CC (as well as earning it the hard way), the Hyatt Platinum benefit would be very tempting.

Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
This is such an individual decision, it is hard to say yes/no.

It all depends on your travel schedule and your airports.

For me, I travel basically every week ex-CLE to ORD, LAS, LAX, SFO so it is a no-brainer to join the club. I am typing this as I sit in the CLE UC and wouldn't trade it for anything.

But if you don't travel a lot from an airport with a UC, and if you don't do much connecting, than maybe it isn't worth it.
I haven't made it to CLE as an elite but leaving out of LAX and into ORD, DEN and IAD multiple times this year has been a very positive benefit for being a member.

Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
In light of reduction in amenities and overcrowding, I have decided this year that it is not worth membership. With *Gold I get the lounges on intl flights anyways and a lot of the domestic airports I am hitting this year don't have UCs (MSY, SAN term 2). I will carry those passes from Chase from my OPP card in case of a really long layover, delay or IRROPs. Just my 2 cents.
Most of my travel has been and will be to cities in the US so no/few opportunities to take advantage of the *G benefit.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
If you don't spend much time at airports, there's no advantage in holding the membership.

Club access is a big deal for getting expedited help from customer service agents during irregular operations. At some stations this can be a big deal.

I was at DCA a while back when some serious weather delays murdered my connection. In the gate area, two agents were overwhelmed with dozens-deep lines of passengers, among them frequent travelers and infrequent travelers, some of them also waiting on hold in the vain hope that phone agents might fix their problems faster. Upstairs, I got speedy, thoughtful, thorough rebooking help from the Presidents Club agents.

At stations where delays are frequent and a human being's help could help you get home sooner, having a club membership is a big deal. (This might be a more common situation as United gate agents start using Continental's SHARES system - change can add inefficiency.)

A one-time pass costs $39 online. If you're not planning to visit the club more than 10 times in a year, it's not worth a $400 membership.
And this is the crux of why I would keep the UC membership is a place to go when travel on UA begins to fall apart either for WX or MX or when things go wrong as they tend to do when travelling. I also know that I'm very unlikely to pony up $39 x # of UCs in advance of each trip.

Originally Posted by N1120A
I would see if there is a renewal rate different from the posted rate.
Hadn't thought of that. One point to make is that the rates are posted on .com so even if I were a 1K, their rate is $375.

Originally Posted by dan1431
The biggest benefits to me is the assistance during IRROPS, but a little benny that I thoroughly enjoy is the ability in many PClubs to leave my luggage (sometimes in a locker) and walk the terminal (or even leave the airport on longer layovers).
I've done that a few times, putting my stuff into the storage areas on longer layovers. However, I always feel a bit paranoid about leaving my stuff.

One other benefit that this thread has reminded me of is the ability to bring one's spouse and children in. We only had one family trip this year but it was a nice benefit. Potential is for one or two family trips next year so that would definitely save $39's. However, I know that we wouldn't buy one-time passes so bringing the family in is, at best, a side benefit.

David