FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]
Old Oct 19, 2011, 2:35 pm
China Clipper

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by cuongduong

I applied for a personal AA card in July 2011 for the 75k. Got approved, and I just now I applied for this card using this link, but I didn't get an instant approval. I called 1-866-606-2961, and they said since I already have 5 credit cards with Citi and have reached the maximum credit limit per user, they could only approve this application with a starting limit of just $1k.
Wow, you're doing well. I have just one Citi CC (Amex) and they refused a second card (since Amex isn't accepted everywhere, I applied for a Visa) saying I was no longer a first-time applicant. Technically true but certainly does not comport with many others' experience around here! My credit rating hovers around 800 and I have no debt.

Worse, it's turning out to be a colossal struggle to get the miles I was promised. First, I'm supposed to get double miles for AA flight purchases--nope, nothing. I ordered stuff I didn't need from Nordstrom's just for fun since they were offering 10mi/$ and the stuff arrived quickly but no miles. I contacted Nordstroms and they said they'd investigate but nothing came of it. Sure, I can keep pursuing it but the cost per mile is adding up since time isn't free.

Meanwhile, I achieved the $2500 required spend for the 50K bonus on this card seven weeks ago and have yet to see any sign that the miles might be forthcoming. The fine print does read '8 to 10 weeks' on that so who knows. But I was also supposed to get two Admirals Club passes and never did.

In fact, all I've gotten on this AA card in nearly three months is the normal one mile per dollar charged. Exception: Overstock.com did come through with the mileage bonus they promised, almost instantly, and kept me apprised by email of the progress ^

Now I'm contemplating a $31K charge for a cruise and would love to get a mileage bonus from someone for it. I previously had a Chase Visa so that's out.

If any of you mileage mavens can tell me what I'm doing wrong, or point me to a productive source of help at AA, I'd greatly appreciate it!