FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling with an expired passport
View Single Post
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:04 am
thijsseh
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Alancyber
Hello,

I am an Irish citizen living in UK with dual citizenship for both Ireland and Nigeria. I need to travel to Nigeria immediately but my Irish passport is currently been renewed in the Irish embassy in Dublin, Ireland. Can I travel out of the UK without my Irish passport? I have a Nigerian passport but it has no visa in it prove I was living here legally. Furthermore, can the the Irish embassy issue a document showing my proof of residency if I am asked about my situation at the Airport?
Welcome to Flyer Talk. To start with, please note that cross posting (posting the same message on more than one board) is against the rules.

To answer your question:

1. There is no Irish embassy in Dublin. You will only find an Embassy outside the country.
2. There is no routine passport control when leaving the UK, so theoretically there might be no problem. But they are obvioulsy allowed to check if they want to. And I guess you would have a problem in that case.
3 How are you going to return to the UK when you get back from Nigeria? You wont have an Irish passport so you would have to get a visa for your Nigerian one......