FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Expired]Hilton HHonors AmEx - 60,000 points after $750 spend in 3 months
Old Oct 14, 2011, 10:42 am
Dr Jabadski

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by thtsapaddlin

Hilton HHonors AmEx - 60,000 points after $750 spend in 3 months
Greetings all,
Just received an email from Hilton regarding a bonus offer. Did a brief search, and didn't get any hits. Forgive me if this information is already out there. Doesn't appear to be targeted.
Originally Posted by mgchan
Got the same thing with also the option for the Surpass Amex with a $3k spend requirement.
Upgrade to the Hilton HHonors™ Surpass® Card from American Express and you can earn 50,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points when you spend US$3,000 in the first three months of Cardmembership.2

Annual Membership Fee: Approximately 45 days after your account is upgraded, you will be charged a prorated annual fee for your new Card based on the time remaining until your next account anniversary date. You will also receive a prorated refund for any annual fee paid on your previous Card.

Annual Membership Fee US$75
The value of HH points aside, there seems to be a way to game these offers for maximum benefit with minimal cost.

Apply for and get the free card, meet the spend and get the bonuses. At 9 months after account opened, call and do the upgrade. Get another bonus and only pay ¼ of the annual fee. Possibly meet the upgraded spend within 45 days then cancel when they bill the annual fee but then they might claw back the points.

(BTW, this card may still be churnable in the traditional sense. I applied in March of this year, met all spends and got the bonuses, closed in May. I just applied again 12 days ago with instant approval. When I called to activate and confirm bonuses, they did slightly change the bonuses because I am a previous account holder, so I’ll get 5000 fewer intro bonus miles.)