FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:12 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
I already have a citi premier card (automatically converted by Citi from Citi Premier Pass Elite) and I have miles earned from it. Does anyone know if I will lose the thank you points I already earned from the existing Citi premier card and apply a new one? Thanks.
You will lose your TYPs IF the sponsor card is closed.

Have you looked at your TYN account? From the details you will see the TYPs are associated to the cards they are earned, and carry expiration dates for those earned before the conversion.

Citi's system is a FIFO system - so redemption order is based on the EARNED time, not the expiration dates. If you want to cancel your old card, make sure you use up ALL the points that associated with THAT card based on the FIFO before you cancel that card. Else you will lose all unredeemed points.

Citi has said the points on PPE earned pre-conversion will expire 18 months from the conversion date (for most folks that was March 2011). However I just notice that if you have tickets bought before pre-conversion date and the flight points that are just now getting matched, the newly deposited points extend that expiration date... I am very glad to see this IT glitch as that means I dont have to rush to spend some $2K worth of the points from pre-conversion that originally would expire in Sept 2012 - they are now moved to early 2013. As I still have 8K flight points not matched yet - so these will continue to extend the expiration date further. As you know, points earned after conversion date dont have expiration.

OTOH, unlike the AA cards Citi would not deny you bonus if you apply for another one.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm