FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Premium Room Reward only at certain properties - Major Devaluation of HH points
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:35 pm
deant

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Neither HHonors nor SPG defines a 'standard room' as is to be available for award redemption. If the programs have a minimum fraction of rooms to be defined as standard, I don't recall seeing it identified on the forums. The official Starwood Lurker has identified a property where only about 15% (I'm doing this from memory) of total room inventory is categorized as standard. SPG beat HHonors to the premium room for more points punch by years.
Two points you must remember in this situation:
1. It appears that for at least Moorea and Bora Bora, there are NO "standard" rooms available at ANY time. Impossible to believe they have sold out of "standard" rooms. SPG at least requires some "standard" rooms to be sold.

2. The SPG "premium" room only requires a relatively small increase in points. For Hilton, to go from a standard room to a "standard room plus" requires double or triple the number of points. To go to an "executive" room may require 3 to 5 times the normal rate.

I fully understand and agree with the SPG approach. The Hilton approach where a hotel can ELIMINATE all standard rooms in order to charge 3-4 times the "standard" is insane.