FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 20 vs 24 vs 28 hits
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:05 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by tommyleo
That's a no-brainer in my book. Anytime you can buy miles for less than 1 cent/mile, you buy them. (Assuming you will use them!) In this case, you're paying just .76 cents/mile! I'd buy at least 100,000 miles right now at that price if I could. Probably more.

Here's another way to look at what you're asking. You can book a domestic flight on US for those 25K miles (20K is you use the DM MC...), and you're going to pay just $190!
Agreed--IF you have immediate or mid-term plans for the miles. I'd first ask myself what I'm trying to do in traveling with US over the next twelve months and then get the miles you need. I want 100K miles (I don't have status so 40 hits do nothing for me), but I'm single. Plus, I have certain travel plans during the GS that make earning some of these hits relatively easy as I'd be doing some of the travel, hotels, rental cars, pickups at airports, anyway. I'm just going to direct some of that towards US's GS partners until this promo ends.

I think the approach Mommy Points has taken, which is get 25K for yourself and then accumulate 25K for others in your household, see here, now appears to be the most sensible scenario if you're accumulating points for more than one person or going for points for domestic travel only. $80 per person for a domestic roundtrip would sound good to me if I had a family of four, but I'm aiming for a trip to Italy during the winter and a trip to Hawaii--so max accumulation does make sense for a single like me.

I still think it's most important to define your travel goals clearly and then try to figure it out from there.