FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changes in Latitudes; Change in Seasons; Delays
Old Oct 4, 2011, 7:10 pm
Loose Cannon

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Part Two

Trip: Edmonton, AB to Ft. Worth, TX 2,152 paid milesRoute: Alberta 216 to Alberta 2 to Alberta 3 to Alberta 4 to Interstate 15 to Montana 3 to Interstate 90 to US26 to Nebraska 71 to Nebraska 92 back to US26 to US385 to Interstate 80 to US81 to Interstate 135 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 35W Maximum elevation: unknown but over 5,600 feet on Interstate 25 in Douglas, WY
Highest diesel price (Canada): $1.059CAD/litre at Road King Calgary, AB
Lowest diesel price (Canada): $1.049CAD/litre at Flying J Sherwood Park, AB
Highest diesel price (USA): $3.989/gallon at Town Pump Shelby/Billings, MT
Lowest diesel price (USA): $3.739/gallon at Flying J Oklahoma City, OK
Make: Kenworth
Model: Cab/chassis 5 axles 2 steer axles, 3 rear axles
Transmission: Standard, 18 speed
Permits required: MT, WY and NE Trip Permits

Thursday the 1st of September I got word the truck was ready so I made the pickup. This truck had a bad turning radius due to two steer axles. I got rolling and spent the first night in Nanton, AB.

Friday morning it was 5C/41F and it rained overnight. I crossed the border and when I took on fuel in Shelby two busloads of high schoolers came and the truckstop was a zoo with a long queue. I saw rainbows south of Shelby and ended up spending the night in Great Falls, MT.

Saturday there was good weather but it was 39F in Great Falls when I woke up but warmed up to the high 50's by the time I woke up. A problem developed with the door lock on the drivers side. The door would open from the inside only with force but stay locked from the outside and neither the key nor the electronic device would unlock it. To make a long story short I simply used the passenger side door for the duration of the trip. I spent the night in Sheridan, WY.

Sunday morning I attended service at Grace Baptist in Sheridan, WY. The message was on Acts 7:42-60 a study on Stephen's message and the consequences of his death. I stopped in Kaycee, WY and saw a statue of the late Chris LeDoux. Chris LeDoux was a rodeo champion and musician. I attended evening service at Frontier Baptist in Douglas, WY and the message was on Ezekiel 36. I ended up spending the night in Torrington, WY.

Monday it was warm. I had to top off the coolant level and then I went through Scottsbluff, NE before catching Interstate 80 in Sidney, NE. I spent the night in Grand Island, NE.

Tuesday it was a nice day and warm but not hot and it was a routine day. I headed south on US81 and the speed limit went up to 70 when I entered Kansas then 75 just past Minneapolis, KS. I had a KC Strip Steak at Newell's Truckstop in Newton, KS before spending the night in Oklahoma City, OK.

Wednesday I got pulled in at the weigh scale in Davis, OK and the officer just wanted to see the IFTA licence. I got to Ft. Worth but too late to make delivery. A friend of mine took me to Ft. Worth Baptist Temple and the sermon was on spiritual success. I spent the night in Ft. Worth, TX.

Thursday I delivered the truck. A friend of mine picked me up. I had two BBQ Beef Brisket sandwiches at Smokey's BBQ in Ft. Worth. Later I found out the next trip would be Irving, TX to Kansas City, KS but I found out too late to make the pickup. I saw a little of Dallas then spent the night in Irving, TX.

Trip: Irving, TX to Kansas City, KS 545 paid miles
Route: Loop 12 to Interstate 35E to Interstate 635 to US75 to US69 to Indian Nation Turnpike to US75 to Interstate 44 to Interstate 244 to US169 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 435 to Kansas 9
Maximum elevation: unknown
Diesel price: $3.739/gallon at Big D Irving, TX and Flying J Tulsa, OK
Make: International
Model: Garbage Truck
Transmission: Automatic
Permits required: none

I made the pickup and found out I would not be able to deliver until Monday. Parts of US75 and 69 were rough especially in Oklahoma. I spent the first night in Tulsa, OK.

Saturday I saw some of downtown Tulsa then fuelled up and made a stop in Catoosa where I saw "The Whale" an iconic roadside attraction on old route 66. Then I headed back to Tulsa and headed north on US169. I stopped in Coffeyville, KS to take pictures then made a pitstop in Chanute, KS. I saw a nice sunset near Iola, KS before shutting down and spending the night in Lenexa, KS.

Sunday morning I was picked up and taken to Victory Baptist Church in Kansas City, MO. I attended Sunday School and we talked about Pilgrims Progress. It is easier to leave the Narrow Way than return to it. Then I attended the main service and the message was on "The Great Dangers of Riches" based on Mark 10:23-27. Then there was lunch. The afternoon service message was entitled "The Children" based on Proverbs 20:1. Then I saw some of Kansas City then was taken back to motel where I spent another night in Lenexa, KS.

Monday it was warm and forecast to be 90F in Kansas City. I made delivery and then was told to go to the airport. The company booked me on a flight to Baltimore as the next trip was Columbia, MD to Dallas, TX. I got a ride to MCI. I checked in and bags weighed 49 and 48lbs. I cleared security after a short queue and there was no secondary screening and no hand search of carry ons.

Southwest #365 MCI-BWI B-737-300 Boarding Pass B4 Seat 22F
Cruising altitude 29,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:15, actual 2:16
Depart: Gate 41 Scheduled 18h25, actual 18h55 Taxi/hold: 8 minutes
Arrive: Gate B6 Scheduled 21h55, actual 22h25 Taxi: 5 minutes
Reclaim bags 12 minutes after arrival

Plane was late arriving. We boarded via jetway. The plane was not full, only 60 passengers. It was announced it was 80F and clear at BWI. Pushback was 30 minutes late. Takeoff was to the south southeast. I saw downtown Kansas City to the distance and Interstate 29. It was a hazy day. We crossed Interstate 35 at 0:02. I saw the Missouri River as it headed east. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:17 upon reaching cruise.

At 0:23 I got pretzels and pita chips. At 0:25 we crossed the Mississippi River far enough north of St. Louis I did not see the city. At 0:33 there was a drink run and I got cup of soda. At 0:35 I saw what looked like the junction of Intestate 55 and 72 over Springfield, IL. I saw sunset to the west over Illinois west of Springfield. Darkness fell and at 0:55 I saw the lights of Indianapolis ans at 1:10 I saw what looked to be Dayton, OH with Cincinnati to the distance. At 1:18 I saw lights of the south part of Columbus, OH.

There was another drink run at 1:33 and I got can of soda. I thought I felt descent at 1:44. Seatbelt sign went on and descent was announced at 1:50 and the weather at BWI was clear. At 1:59 I saw what looked to be Frederick, MD and junction of Interstates 70 and 270. At 2:08 I saw downtown Baltimore then the port. We made turn south and I saw Interstate 695 and the Francis Scott Key Bridge. We turned west and landed east to west. We arrived at gate 30 minutes late.

After I reclaimed my bags I got shuttle to hotel and spent night in Linthicum, MD.