FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CO/UA Million Mile (and Beyond) Flyer Benefits, Effective Spring 2012
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:21 pm
nor4

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
What, if anything, were you asked?

I recently wrote UA explaining that the spousal/significant other option does not benefit me and I would prefer the upgrades. Could they simply give the customer the choice?

In reply I was told United had "a lot of feedback" favoring the status match.

We evaluated the MileagePlus(R) and OnePass(R) lifetime recognition programs based on a lot of feedback from members who had already reached one million miles and more. These members made it clear that program status was what mattered most and being able to extend that status to a spouse or significant other was almost as important.

The upgrades benefit that is currently part of the MileagePlus Million Mile Flyer program was there as a way to provide these members an option to sit in the upper cabin if their program status wasn't at a level where they could earn upgrades. Because we now have Complimentary Premier Upgrades (formerly Unlimited Domestic Upgrades), and generous lifetime status, all Million Mile Flyers have the opportunity to upgrade.

[Employee name deleted by Moderator per FT Rules.]
United Airlines Customer Care
I am now curious if any MM FTers were asked their preference and if the status match option specifically included the fact that upgrades would no longer be available. And was it explained that the ranking of MMers would put them near the bottom of the upgrade list for CPUs?

Was there a poll, or meeting, or some sort of contact where you were asked your preferences?

Data can be gathered in a way to favor the gatherer's preference as can analysis of data and, of course, the explanation of those results by the merchandising office. So I'm curious what the basis for the decision was.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Oct 1, 2011 at 4:41 pm Reason: Please see above explanation.