FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So why isn't KLM going LCC? No cost pressure like AF?
Old Sep 27, 2011, 11:52 am
GenevaFlyer

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by creber
Just had another European flight on KLM. While nothing to write home about, I did find it pleasant enough and better than what I would have got on AF.

I don't quite understand: the AFKL Group in in financial difficulties and costs have to be saved, everywhere. However, it seems that only the Air France part of the business is being LCCed to the bones while KLM keeps on having some niceties for its European flights. And it seems they are actually upgrading rather than downgrading parts of their offering (for instance its "Business" Class).

Arguably KLM starts from a low level and upgrading still results in nothing fantastic, but what intrigues me is that one airline in the group seems to move downward quality-wise whilst the other one moves up, with AF now undercutting KLM in service poverty.

Why? Why is the cost pressure that exists in the group only transmitted to Air France? Or am I missing something?
Maybe because one part of the company is profitable, while the other is not?

GenevaFlyer