FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multi-Modal-Mayhem - To Toronto with a bevvy of Economy madness...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:52 am
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Toronto to London

Back to YYZ

But Sunday 6pm came far too quickly. With an hour to get to the airport, and factoring time to sort out some routing issues, I picked up my trash at the IC, and caught the green line back to Kipling, and the 192 to the Airport.

After being dropped off at the public levels, I made my way up to Elite Check-in, which was choc-a-block.

Once I was called up, I explained to the agent my problem, who modified my itinerary, and I went away to repack my bags. Now with two bags (the Etnies Transport going as checked and the Anter Urbanite II going as hand), I made my way back to check in, and was checked in to London Heathrow only, with my bag only going there too.

A quick visit to the small room, and I was ready to face security... which apart from 1) being directed to the disabled lane and 2) 3 wheel chairs pushing past without the occupants or the pushers saying the words “Excuse me”, seeing it as their right to push through and damn anyone else who actually was in the queue.

However, the security formalities were done in seconds, with no secondary examination, and after grumbling about people pushing in, I packed up my trash and headed down the slow travelators (the Express ones had been switched off to “save the environment”), and I headed straight to the Maple Leaf Lounge.

Lounge Stop: Maple Leaf Lounge - International.

Now if you’ve only ever flown in the lower 48 states, you won’t know what hit you when you enter this lounge. For everyone else, this is what a lounge is like. There are things like proper food, alcohol without a ba, lots of seats, power, and … a shower.

Seating

Pick your drink!

Cookie!

Considering I had been traipsing around Toronto in the sun all day, this was deemed a good idea. The shower was warm, the water hot, and the towels fresh. All good things in my view.

Food in the lounge was the usual Air Canada affair of Soup, Nibbles, and today - Ravioli's of different sorts. Different, but again - creative. It shows with a bit of effort and money spent on the lounge you can get a pretty amazing product.

Firing up the computer, I found an invite in one of my email folders (which I’ll be disclosing about soon.. trust me... you’ll know about it when it arrives!) and I took the opportunity to update the photos, whist confirming work needed me in the next day.

As I was in no rush, I just watched the clock until 10 minutes before boarding where I thanked the safe for a great lounge experience and headed down to Duty Free to pick up some gifts, and then to the gate where boarding was about to begin.

When elite boarding was called, I made my way down the jet-bridge.

At the gate

AC858 Toronto International Airport to London Heathrow Terminal 3.
Air Canada C/S as BD4858, Seat 26K, Economy Class
Airbus A330-300

Photos Part 1 - http://www.photoblog.com/kevincm/201...-to-lhr-1.html
Photos Part 2 - http://www.photoblog.com/kevincm/201...yyz-lhr-2.html

I boarded the plane and headed down to Row 26, popping my bag in the upper bin, and the iPhone in my pocket. As boarding continued, I noticed the plane packed out without a spare seat in the house. Compared to the trip I did in March/April, this was yielding backsides on seats for Air Canada.

Whilst I prefer the A330 as an aircraft (sorry, down the back, the 2 x 4 x 2 seating appeals to me greatly), the lack of air-vents is rather annoying. Thankfully, this plane is configured with the Air Canada IFE system, as well as a generous 32” seat pitch - all things that would be useful for a night flight.

Take off was 20 minutes late, and from the looks of FlightAware, we never made up that time as we were late landing too. And yes, I'm in the window seat, so iPhone4 and Yourtube time strikes again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD2uliD19dQ

One last goodbye from Toronto.

The service was pretty much out of the door quick as this was going to be a sleeper flight. Food choices again were Chicken or Pasta.

The Tray. Note the advert for the Arrivals Lounge at LHR...

So what have we got here? Well the sweetcorn was fresh, the roll uncommonly soft, and the Honey Mustard Chicken with Veggie Rice was again - very palatable. Heck, there was even a desert. A choclate fudge square. Again, a nicely rounded meal.

Sweetcorn

Roll

Chicken

Desert

And at this point dear reader, once clear-down was complete, I put the seat in half recline made a GhettoIFE system to watch Spaceballs: The Movie in, and by about halfway through, that was it for me.

When will then be now? Soon!

Waking up as the lights came on for the breakfast service, and as promised, it was a muffin breakfast service. And I do just mean that.

"Breakfast"

Ok airlines, I’m going to bash on about this, but a bit of effort wouldn’t go amiss with a breakfast service. Handing out a muffin whilst quick, isn’t a great service at all. Still at least the drinks had been delivered freely as always on Air Canada.

Making landfall over Wales, the cabin started lighting up as people opened windows, and I followed, taking in my view of the wing... but was behind the wing was more interesting.

Normally, I prefer a left-side seat as I love to watch the sun rise in the air. This time however, being stuck on the right put me in a perfect line... for Docklands, The City of London and Westminster.

The Dome

Canary Wharf & The Docklands

The South Bank, The Wheel and The City

[I]Buckingham Palace and The London Area[/I

The decent continued, and soon we touched the tarmac of Heathrow Airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urhOOnNvYXA

And whilst the plane had landed at the right end of the tarmac for T3, we were a victim to Heathrow traffic, and had to hold for a bit until we were allowed to taxi to Gate 31. Eventually, we parked up and after a shot wait, disembarkation commenced.

Overall: Once again, a good service by Air Canada. The crew friendly, and whilst could not spend as much time as they did on an empty 777-300ER, conducted the services quickly and efficiently which is needed on a night flight.

The moment I was off the plane, I switched the phone back into voice mode to find the hard disk had been delivered. I did the math, and said I should be at the office for 15:30 subject everything running to schedule.

After picking up my bag, I did something quite unusual - even for me. I had some small change left over from Canada (a few dollars at most). Now normally, I keep everything from a trip. This time however, I put the money in a charity box and headed for the train.

Yes, I was still quite annoyed with Canadian Immigration even after a few days (and heck, near enough more than a week later).

*ABORTED - LHR-FRA, FRA-LCY Segments*.
London Heathrow T1 to Frankfurt International Airport, Frankfurt Airport - London City Airport

Last edited by Kevincm; Sep 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm Reason: Added Content.