FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multi-Modal-Mayhem - To Toronto with a bevvy of Economy madness...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:36 am
Kevincm

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Part III, BRU-LHR.

Initially I was directed to the Machines, and after stating I had a “complex itinerary”, I was sent to a person, where he happily checked me in for both legs - with the aisle seat sticking sadly for the long haul segment. A window seat was assigned for the short hop to Heathrow.

After completing the check-in, the agent also offered me a fast-track sticker for whenever I was at Brussels Airport to avoid the security queues.

How very kind!

With those formalities complete, I headed for the B Pier, and made my merry way through to Passport Check, and then over to security where I beeped my fast track sticker - and it worked a treat. I was through security in 5 minutes flat (with the queue for economy snaking back as far as the eye can see) and headed straight for the lounge.

It was breakfast time after all.

Lounge Stop: Brussels Airlines Non-Schengen Lounge

Sunrise

I was welcome into the lounge, putting it on my Lufthansa SEN card (well - I have to save BMI a few pennies here and there), and parked up in a sunny spot to wake up. Obviously the pan-au-cholcate, Coffee and Croissants helped.

Breakfast

Bakery Selection

The lounge itself was very bright and light nicely as it runs along a window

It did busy up as I was there and quietened down, mainly as US bound flights were departing, but it was a very relaxed environment. The only slight downside is the toilets to the lounge were actually outside the lounge. A clever piece of thinking there.

After asking, WiFi keys were given out if needed. I took one and quickly checked my mail and posted a blog, before seeing the time. As 9:15 rolled by, it was time to head down to the bus station for the AvroJet to London.

Gate 91

By the time I had arrived at Gate 91, boarding had just begun, with no priority boarding. The queues built up and I was beeped through the gate and off onto the bus. Eventually, it filled up, and it was time to trundle to the middle of nowhere to meet our little Avro.

Two Barbie-jet engines.

A T-Tail

Boarding

SN2093 (Code Shared as BD5433) Brussels National Airport to London Heathrow
Brussels Airlines BAe 146/Avro RJ-85, Seat 12A,16/09/2011
218 Miles Flown, 0 Miles Earned (Stupid Brussels Airline Earning codes).

The Photos - http://www.photoblog.com/kevincm/201...ru-to-lhr.html

I boarded the plane in a daze, and again was taken back to my past when I flew BAe146’s every now and again. The airplane was configured in a 2 x 3, making it a relatively light feel in comparison to the possible 3 x 3 configurations. The seat pitch was a standard 31” pitch and the load seemed to be pretty good.

Seat.

Cabin.

However with a few hours sleep to my name, I promptly conked out. I awoke when the safety briefing began, and dozed off after. And woke up just as the four little barbie jet engines whirled into life down the runway....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_y0fmE2LVc

Climbing out of BRU.

As we turned and climbed, the bongs indicated service could begin, and I took the opportunity to zonk out for the remained for the flight, only waking up in time for near enough final decent. The plane turned over Reading, and decent past Windsor Castle, with a gentle touchdown at LHR.

Windsor Castle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD6j18BEgxQ

The plane taxied to a stand position, and the doors opened. I thanked the crew and headed up the stairs into the bowls of T1.

Parked up at LHR

Overall: Yes, I didn’t get much from the flight and the window seat, but I got a soild 1 hour’s sleep. Which after that coach journey, was not a bad thing at all. Heck. It did the job. That’s all I ever ask...

Last edited by Kevincm; Sep 25, 2011 at 11:14 am Reason: Added Content.