FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 777-300 ER mini-reviews
View Single Post
Old Sep 24, 2011, 1:01 am
thomasalexandre

Programs: M&M-FQT / HHonors SLV / LHW LeadersClub
N1 LHR to LAX in Premium-Y

Hi guys - this is my first experience with NZ. Usually loyal to LX or LH on long haul in C. I was lucky enough to be among the first to experience the new PremiumY cabin that's been reduced by 1 seat row. I obviously can't compare to what it was before - but it really felt like enough space! Actually - the personal space you get is easily what was given to you in business class 15y ago. To be fair - am a small guy, though still I can hardly imagine the space would not be enough for anybody to feel comfortable in.

Otherwise the usual comments about the seat - difficult to recline and recline is not huge - for a day flight it's enough, though could be a little more to be great for sleeping. Not enough space to put personal items away. Screen sits in a little awkward position when unfolded. I liked though the table is flexible enough to be put in different positions. The pillow is also a little strange - NZ certainly thought doing it, but it really is too big in my opinion, you can hardly put it where you need it. Not a big fan neither of leather seats for long haul. Otherwise the seat does a good job in giving you the feeling of privacy.

Inflight entertainment is as good as everybody says and probably among the best currently in the air. Selection is amazing, system response very good and lots of handy features to explore.

Am not a huge fan of the NZ concierge service! Maybe because she just came to me during dinner time. It feels like NZ employs a charming lady just to go around and have a chat with passengers. In the end it seemed this was most appreciated by passengers in the 50+ area.

Dinner was good for a premium eco product. I would however be a little disappointed I were to be presented this in business class (since premiumY and C share the same meal in NZ). Presentation was great, hardware was nice, timing was okay and selection also. Pre arrival meal was a nice surprise - nice smoothy, tasty sandwiches and lovely scones.

See here some pics:

starter

Beef filet

Burger

Cheese

All in all a nice inflight experience - would def consider NZ again! A very fine airline with lots of nice ideas. Their eco premium product is very good (I cannot compare to any other though) - I don't feel like I've paid too much for it and I enjoy my flight.

Last comment - shame NZ doesn't play more with the mood lighting. It was just on for boarding. Considering it was a day flight - they could have been exploiting it more - but maybe it was just my crew on this particular flight not really paying attention to it.