FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Traveler Needing Suggestions
View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:46 am
ArnoldBradleyJ

New Traveler Needing Suggestions

Hey Everyone at Flyertalk!

This is my first post and I am really hoping to become a regular here before too long. I am 24 years old, living in Chicago with my first real job. I have always wanted to travel, but never thought it to be realistic yet because of funding.

I recently came across Chris Guillebeau's 'Frequent Flyer Master', which I decided to purchase and read. This was a great tool, but it is still beyond me right now as I am a complete Newby! I know it will take a lot of time to learn the ropes, but I like reading and doing some research.

What I am asking for here is help on how to get started. My credit card situation stands as having a Chase Freedom card, which isn't currently getting me miles. I have good credit and would like to start building miles. After reading Chris' book, I understand there are cards and methods to gaining extreme amounts of miles in minimal amounts of time.

As I am younger and reletively new to credit cards, I need a little understanding on gaining points, credit card fees, and canceling cards. I've always been told not to cancel cards when I was younger, but lately I have been hearing this isn't the worst thing in the world. I read about churning cards, and this sounds interesting, I just would need to know exactly how this works. I'd really like help on putting together a strategy for a new person in my position to get my traveling life going!

In case you need to know how much I can spend... I can put $750-$1,200 on a card per month. I am used to putting everything on my card to gain points, it just wasn't for miles

Please let me know any additional information you may need to give me some solid advise. I'm single, 24, rent an apartment (can't pay rent by cc), have no car payments. I'm just looking to put together a game plan to start traveling sometime next year (I'm a planner, I love excel).

In case you are curious of my game plan... Find out how to earn miles and start earning as much as I can. Pick a destination and start planning a trip. Research the different ways to use my miles to minimize hotel and other fees (aka become a flyertalk junkie). Go on the trip and repeat!

In advance, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and I look forward to all our future conversations!

Best,

Brad Arnold
Chicago, IL