FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ Long Haul Review
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:37 pm
ajnz

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by mmonster
In theory yes, it will be a threat.. but does Jetstar has the right to operate AKL - SFO or to other NA destinations? (I really do not know that they can operate that route or not?)
I'm pretty sure JQ would be able to do this - there has already been speculation about JQ taking over AKL-LAX from QF, or replacing it with AKL-SFO after QF dropped SYD-SFO. Unsure whether 3K could operate it, but we've already seen JQi use 3K/JQ operations interchangeably where it suits to optimize their flying rights.

Originally Posted by mmonster
If they are flying to China, PEK and PVG are almost impossible, given AirNZ need to fight so hard for it and they are a bit like LHR where they do not have available slots...

also similar problem with NRT with no slots....

if they were to operate to other NA ports, I really doubt where that could be without a robust connection network. The most logical is Phuket, a resort paradise for NZers
The QF/JQ/3K group is flying to China, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc. All they will do is hub it through Singapore with their AKL-SIN flights, and possibly add other destinations when demand is there and rights are required.

This is why I suspect we'll see S2S on more of the long haul network - perhaps in only half of the Y cabin.