FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Britain: Gay Men Allowed to Donate Blood
View Single Post
Old Sep 16, 2011, 8:08 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by hsmall
I agree. I am debating the morality of pressing for my firm to discontinue co-operating with onsite blood donor sessions.
Our firm will match employee contributions to a lot of charities, but we won't match to charities that discriminate. One of these charities is the boy scouts. The church I go to also refuses to let them use our facilities due to their policies.

My church allows the blood cross to use our facilities for a blood drive every year and the red cross also has an interfaith blood drive where churches compete to see who can give the most blood and some of hetrosexual members donate blood during that. It was brought up last year at a board meeting by a gay member that they didn't want the red cross using our facilities for the blood drive any longer due to the discrimination. I found out from that meeting that the red cross isn't the one who has that policy but it's an FDA policy the red cross has to follow.

Not sure how the policies are set in the UK though. As much as it P*sses me off gay men can't donate, I was glad to see our church allowed the use of our building and still encourages people that are eligible to donate to donate. There is a continual blood shortage (which could be eased if gay men wouldn't be banned), and I would hate to think that a loved one wouldn't have an adequate blood supply avialable if they needed blood due to a medical emergency.